Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Make Polluters Pay for Greenhouse Gas Emissions

As California's Air Resources Board studies various options for reducing our state's greenhouse gas emissions to 1990 levels by 2020, with an 80% reduction by 2050, Sierra Club California and 5 other environmental groups have offered our suggestions on how best to design a system that caps emissions and requires big polluters to pay a price, set by an auction, for their emissions.

You can read our Cap and Auction Design Position Paper.

On Sierra Club California's home page, national executive director Carl Pope explains cap-and-auction in 45 seconds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a Sierra Club member and clean air advocate. I also write the blog Chasing Clean Air. I just read S. David Freeman's book Winning our energy Independence, which I recommend for sound policy ideas on cleaning our air, and dealing effectively with global warming. There's a lot of climate change information and books out there, and Freeman's is one of the better ones I've read. I also read part of Earth: The Sequel, a book getting a lot of attention. To me, this book felt like a press release for cap and trade and business innovation for the sake of money more than for protecting our environment. I just mention it because with growing information out there, I want to show preference for books that I believe point the way toward meaningful clean change.

Anonymous said...

I think that would be a good idea with making it more expensive for people with cars that pollute more. Too many people are jumping into SUV's with no reason for it. How many times do you see a H2 go by with no passengers.